Gingerbread Cake with Molasses Cream Cheese Frosting
With the holiday season right around the corner, here is a delicious gingerbread cake with molasses cream cheese frosting that is sure to kick start the holiday baking season! If you love gingerbread, then you will LOVE this cake. With a delicious hint of molasses, then topped with the molasses cream cheese frosting, this cake is heaven on a plate!
I was checking out all my holiday baking decorations and found my cute little gingerbread men. What better place to use these little guys on than this delicious gingerbread cake with molasses cream cheese frosting. I adapted the delicious recipe for molasses cream cheese frosting from Ali over at Gimme Some Oven. The only change I made was adding a few teaspoons of milk. Check out her beautiful Gingerbread Cupcakes with Molasses Cream Cheese Frosting and her cute little gingerbread men too! Actually, why you’re there, check out her whole website, she has some amazing recipes that I’m sure you will love!
How many of you usually make some kind of gingerbread/molasses treats during the holidays? At our house, cookies are a big deal at Christmas time! Family traditions run deep during the holiday season! One of our favorites is my Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies, they are DELICIOUS, along with my Christmas Sugar Cookies!!! Check them out, I know you will love them too!
Back to the cake…
This combination of gingerbread and molasses compliment each other extremely well! Both are so tasty, so delicious, and definitely gets you in the holiday spirit! The smell coming from your kitchen, while this is baking, is amazing!
Even the gingerbread cake without frosting is delicious, especially right out of the oven! I’m just a nut over buttercream frosting and anything I can put it on, I do! Literally! I know gingerbread is best served warm but this cake is super good after it’s cooled and frosted!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease (2) 9 inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar together until creamy.
- Add molasses and eggs. Beat until well combined.
- Alternate flour and water into the wet ingredients making sure to mix well, on low, between each addition.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until combined.
- Add molasses and vanilla. Beat on low until well combined.
- Add a little powdered sugar at a time. Mix until each addition is well combined.
- Add 1 teaspoon of milk after 4 cups of powdered sugar have been added.
- Finish mixing in the powdered sugar and the remaining teaspoon of milk.
- Frost cake once it has cool completely.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to your Pinterest boards
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Also, make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe.